October 8, 2008

Reader Soapbox! & Freewheeling!



Quality of Writing in Terry Ekl's 2008 Audit

The writing quality in Terry Ekl's Park Ridge Police Department 2008 Audit is not high; it seems, to me, more like a first draft than a final report. This may seem a trivial issue, since the meaning Mr. Ekl intended can be determined, in most places, without great effort. It concerns me nevertheless, because I have no direct way of getting a sense of the quality of the investigation itself, as the report omits many details on which conclusions were based. I am also aware that the report was bought at a much lower price than those proposed by other firms. So I find myself asking: if the writing is this sloppy, to the extent that it wasn't even run through a spelling/grammar checker, was the same laxness applied to the investigation itself?

The report is highly redundant, and I was reminded of writing assignments from my school days, in which I didn't have much to say yet tried to take as many pages as possible to say it. There are multiple spelling errors, many of which would have been caught with the spell checker in Word. Commas are omitted where they are needed, and added where they shouldn't be. Many sentences are conflicting in the use of number, and some preposition choices are… interesting. The underlining is even misaligned with amazing frequency for such a simple task, as if done in great haste.


This issue is best appreciated while actually reading the report, but I've made some observations below.


Some Spelling Problems


Commander Jogmen's name is always spelled wrong.


“Swobada” for “Swoboda”

“Manger” for “manager” twice, one time in the fifth row

“affect” for “effect”

“effect” for “affect”

“there” for “their”

“it's” for “its”

“motived” for “motivated”

“recurrent” for “recurring”

“catlyst” for “catalyst”

“thief” for “theft”

“alderman” for “aldermen”

“who” for “whom”

“whom” for “who”

“may” for “might”

“cover-up” used as verb

“first hand” for “firsthand”

“under-age” for “underage”


A Few Excerpts

(I don't set them off by quotes, and my comments are in square brackets)

There is often two sides to how…

Once I received an accusation by a citizen against an officer, it was important to determine whether the allegations made by the citizens against the police department are credible.

…bias or agendas…

elected officials…put aside any personal agenda

…civilian complaints none of which resulted finding of “sustained”. [Note all three errors.]

…it is not possible for me to make what amounts to a credibility decision as to
whether a citizen who has complained about the conduct of an officer or whether the
officer is being truthful as to how the event actually occurred.
In evaluating my findings and suggested changes, I provide you… [He is evaluating his own findings?]

…unfair in both the administration of discipline or…

…my staff and I interviewed individuals whose identity was learned as a result of conversations with others as potentially having information relevant to the investigation of the police department.

I was able to review the videos as well as compare the statements made at the time of the incident by the persons involved and any witnesses to the information I received during the interview process with my staff.

There appears to be a sincere desire on the part of the officers to bring about
change and improvement to the department. [Followed shortly by:] There
appears to be a sincere desire to bring about improvement within the
department…


…investigation of the complaints have…


…has, in many occasions…


The promotion system provides unlimited discretion in the Chief…


…the mixed message being given to the police over enforcement of under-age drinking laws, as officers were supported by the previous city council in aggressive enforcement of these laws, however, when residents began to complain to the current elected officials, this policy changed;
When it is clear that an officer engaged in misconduct the discipline has, in
many occasions…


…she was, in fact, the victim of identity thief.

…need to impose more severe discipline to officers…

I interviewed labor attorney, Robert Smith,…

This finding should not be confused with those officers…

This perception is extremely detrimental to (1) the morale of the department; and (2) for effective law enforcement.

Love of Quotation Marks

I was asked to make “findings” as to whether…

There will be circumstances where police officers make “mistakes”…

…significance I place on the “perceptions”…

The following are “recommendations” I am making.

What can best be described as a “mixed message”…

Submitted By: C. Elegans

47 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am no writing expert but I do know slop when I see it. The same question went through my mind: if the writing is this sloppy, to the extent that it wasn't even run through a spelling/grammar checker, was the same laxness applied to the investigation itself?

I thought exactly the same thing when I read it.

Anonymous said...

Which is why I tried to get our money, YOUR MONEY, back from Ekl. I am a lawyer. If I sent this piece of garbage to one of my clients, it would be the last thing I would be hired to do for him.

Anonymous said...

DON'T YOU PEOPLE UNDERSTAND???...it had to be written this way so our aldermen and mayor would understand!

Anonymous said...

It helped Howard get rid of Caudill and scare Swoboda witless, so Frimark probably considers it the it the best $80 grand of our money he ever spent.

So when's Swoboda packing it in, and is one of Howard's cronies all lined up and ready to step in, eitehr before or after the usual "nation-wide" search?

Anonymous said...

I have an MFA in Writing.
my first reaction to this report was to get out my red pen and take to it.
I cannot believe what a waste of money it was. Then again, to be consistent, it's par for Howie. And certainly up to HIS standards.

Anonymous said...

I pledge this to my fellow townsmen: If you pay me $80K a year, I will provide to you one report a month on the subject of your choosing! I also promise to you that the grammar, spelling, syntax and punctutation will be perfect!

That's 12 reports for the price of 1!

How about it? Should we ink the deal here and now?

Anonymous said...

my favorite typo related to this report was the online version of the Herald-Advocate, when they posted an article about this report and they misspelled his name, calling it the "ELK REPORT"
ahahahahahaha

Anonymous said...

Alderman Dave--it feels like you are the only voice of reason it that cast of clowns. thanks for your work. We DO appreciate it!

Anonymous said...

Dear Anon 7:55:

The price is right, but I'm a little concerned with your punctutation.

Anonymous said...

My Wild Irish Prose,

You aren't paying me yet!

Anonymous said...

Anon 7:55

My mistake, I thought I had mailed that check.

Anonymous said...

Boycott St.Paul Septemberfest , unless Fr.Carl, Mrs.Bobroff, Mayor Frimark,and fellow white-shirts are in a dunk-tank.

Anonymous said...

ooohhhhh---who's up for picketing? we don't need a permit because it's in reference to the Catholic Church. Right?

Anonymous said...

did I hear picketing? I can do that! that would be interesting. anyone?

Anonymous said...

Why on Earth would anyone bother to picket? I think a better idea is to do some charitable work...show some mercy...for the poor, the hungry, the homeless...

Buy a bunch of tickets for the Septemberfest revelry...then go hand them out at PADS shelters...give the fine Morellonites a head start on mixing and mingling with all the down on their luck folks who are just like everybody else...

It's the least you could do...

Anonymous said...

what are the dates of the event?

Anonymous said...

I believe what Anonymous at 8:36 was talking about, which I incorrectly copied, is SPC's "AutumnFest '08"...which looks to be scheduled for Oct. 11

Anonymous said...

Awesome idea, Bean!

St. Paul's "AutumnFest" is this Saturday night. PLenty of food, beer and wine. Let's make it a "welcome to the neighborhood" event for whatever PADS "guests" can be drummed up.

And in the unlikely event one or too get inadvertantly overserved, let Morello take them into the parish house for the night...for practice.

Anonymous said...

that's an excellent, excellent idea!!!!

Anonymous said...

Dear homeless people,
yous are invited to come on over to our church where da parishoners will welcome you to their party Saturday. I won't actually BE there, but I will send my guys dere so they can report back to me.
See, I haf ta be in Florida a lot. Unlike yous guys, I have TWO homes. I know, you have none.
Sincerely,
The spineless mayor

Anonymous said...

I so like the idea of feeding the hungry with tickets to the SPC AutumnFest. Where can I buy tickets? Don't limit it to PADS clients because our zoning ord will allow ANY homeless shelters, so we can invite ANY homeless people!!!

Anonymous said...

The irony of this kills me. Helping people out of spite!! Oh well. At least they will get a meal.

ParkRidgeUnderground said...

We find it ironic too -- none of the PADS yahoos even considered the idea.

Anonymous said...

Hahahaha! Right you are PRU. Especially after the PADS yahoos just had a big old protest march about how a shelter opening in Park Ridge has been delayed and all the tons and tons of homeless people in Park Ridge won't have anywhere to go. Except all the other open PADS shelters. Funny they didn't think to invite all the Park Ridge homeless to their Autumn party to get them out of the elements and off the streets so they could eat, drink, and be merry for a few hours.

Anonymous said...

which shelter is open on Friday night? we can distribute the tickets there. perhaps some Metra passes too.

Anonymous said...

This reminds me of the Karl Rove stunt where he sent a bunch of Skid Row residents to a Democratic political event with the advertising of free broads and beer, or some such. Please don't set in motion something you won't be able to recall...
and speaking of recall, I think the Elk Report clearly came from the mayor's favorite foreign country, Norwegia.

Anonymous said...

Why would anybody want to recall an effort to help out the homeless for an evening? If all the people who say they want a pads shelter in a school gym are so sure that is a great idea, then why weren't they also thinking about welcoming the homeless to AutumnFest? Fr. Carl blames all the racial and economic bigots for not letting him have a homeless shelter open now, so why didn't Fr. Carl put out the call to the pads shelters around to invite the homeless to St. Paul for an evening of fun? Is the only way to help the homeless to shut them up in a school gym for beddyby time? I think the idea is great. I think that if the Fr. Carl and the pads supporters were really thinking about helping the homeless then their thinking wouldn't be limiited to a hot and a flop one night a week.

Anonymous said...

The mentality of this town is sad. With all the issues, stores not wanting to come to our town because of an ordinance and thus the property remains vacant, our "officials" wanting spend money we do not have, taxes that are out of this world, and crime rate on the rise just to name a few. We remain focused on a PADS shelter. Representatives,let the people vote and move on to issues that we should be addressing!

Anonymous said...

put it on the ballot.
amen.

Anonymous said...

Friday night PADS openings are at:

Prince of Peach Lutheran Church
930 W Higgins Road
Schaumburg

St. Mary's Catholic church
795 Center St.
Des Plaines

Trinity United Methodist Church
605 W Golf Road
Mt Prospect

Take your pick to distribute Autumfest Tickets. Go crazy!

Anonymous said...

OK.... so in my haste (and not checking my post before hitting send), it's not Prince of Peach....let's make that Prince of Peace Lutheran Church....although I'm betting the folks at Prince of Peace are a bunch of really peachy people.

Anonymous said...

I am a proud member of Our Lady of Fresh Fruit.

Anonymous said...

Where can I find the next meeting of the Benedictines of the Lobster Bisque or the Dominican Doughnut Sisters?

Anonymous said...

Oh, I so knew I would get feedback on my typo. VERY funny stuff. I really love Our Lady of Fresh Fruit but I'm not catholic. I'm thinking of joining St. Cukes Lutheran Church in town. Do you think they will provide ranch dressing at communion?

Anonymous said...

A brief not to all.....

Don't take AC Tom S. too lightly
here!

This kid came up through the ranks,
attended the right law Enforcement
state approved schools, established
and kept several programs running within, worked the streets - patrol

as a watch commander and has established liaison with all of the area departments.

Sometime ago, the city of PK decided to go outside and search for its public safety director - that didn't work!

Do I think we are being cheated out of a top quality FBI grad for our next police chief ? No!

Just pick up the phone and call any watch commander in the city - they will tell you the same!

Thanks again.

Anonymous said...

Hey - some really great ideas...maybe we will see a combined voter both with:

- Howie the clown

- Danger Dan

- Pro abortion Rosie M.

Let see - what can they give out...I now..meal tickets to the PADS folks.

- Free clinic check ups.

Oh mayor - be sure to get that bus ordered for the pick down at the old ' pacific garden's..yeah..

Anonymous said...

Lets bring them in!! I am surprised Fr Carl did not invite them!!!

Anonymous said...

Anon 2:16

I don't understand your post at all...seems to be pro TS but makes no sense.

Anonymous said...

2:18PM began to knock
AC Tom S. - That's why
I supported him.

The outside report/gone
public is another issue
all by itself.

I don't believe that its
worth all that money.

I don't believe its worth
anything but the paper
its been printed on.

As for the "meat" of the report
that might be missing ...you'll
have to go after those folks and file..............
or take them to court civilly to get ALL the copies.

They may hide under some laws here.

Either way it appears that we've been hosed !

Thanks

Anonymous said...

If this town wants to invite all the homeless here , then lets remove all the do not feed the wildlife signs from our nature center and parks.

Anonymous said...

To Anonymous 10:43, in light of what has happened to the parks in Arlington Hts. with all the homeless hanging around at all hours drinking, urinating, crapping, sleeping, fighting, and smoking anything they can get their hands on , after a time our parks won't be of much use to the rest of the residents here.

Anonymous said...

I totally agree with the last two comments.

Remember....not all incidents get reported.

There is :

1. Reported Crimes

2. Unreported Crimes

Therefore, the UCR system is NOT the one you can based your complete judgement on - when it comes to these folks committing crimes within ANY town!

We are playing with fire - here.

Smoke and mirrors!

Thanks

Anonymous said...

The problems sited by 5:05 PM will soon come to Rotary Park and Metra track property, as well as parks with public restrooms (Hinkley, Centennial, Oakton, Maine, and South Parks). Rotary Park is secluded, close to proposed shelter sites, and is connected to the strip of un-patrolled Metra property where homeless often trespass.

Homeowners near these public spaces should review the Municipal Code and determine what can be done to keep the open spaces safe. The City isn’t doing much to protect our interests. Also, the burden of notifying the police when rules are broken will fall on us.

Anonymous said...

There will also be a big demand for "No Public Restroom!" signs for business and store-front windows.

Anonymous said...

would like to know exactly what programs acing chief swaboda initiated,and has kept running. intitiating anything is difficult when you are incapable of original thought. for osme reason trhe ekl report failed to recognize swoboda's contribution to the problems curently existing in the park ridge police department. keep that in mind whne selecting a nre police chief

Anonymous said...

The acting police chief is unable to keep his religious agenda from influencing his job. In the shelter issue this is a conflict of interest.

Anonymous said...

I think someone should correct the report with a red pen and then send the corrected version to the Advocate as an editorial to be printed in the paper....

Maybe I'll do that...