May 19, 2010

A Wednesday Re-wind!

Remember this? We thought our faithful PRU readers and others may want to review -- New Meat! Posted by ParkRidgeUnderground November 19, 2008




The PRU Crew is very happy to post the following announcement!

Today I am announcing my candidacy for the office of Mayor of Park Ridge.

When I was elected First Ward Alderman less than two years ago, my only desire was to serve the residents of the First Ward to the best of my ability – in the most open, accountable, and fiscally-conservative way possible. And that is what I have tried to do for these past 18 months.

But during my time in office, it has become increasingly clear that the entire city is suffering from a lack of vision, a lack of credibility, and a lack of leadership in City Hall. Most troubling, however, is the widespread lack of confidence and trust in the person currently holding the office of mayor.

Consequently, I am running for mayor, first and foremost, to restore the public’s trust in city government and in the office of mayor.

As "The Great Communicator," President Ronald Reagan, advised: "trust, but verify." As mayor of Park Ridge I pledge that city government will earn our residents’ trust by making everything it does – EVERYTHING – completely transparent and readily "verifiable."

I will work to ensure that all important information about city government is posted on the city’s website in a timely fashion, and that it is posted in an easily accessible and understandable form. The city’s website should be the ultimate public information resource, available 24/7 and fifty-two weeks per year.

Not only do I pledge to make Park Ridge city government as transparent as possible, but I promise to end the secret, behind-the-scenes deal-making that has characterized city government under the current administration. There will be no special sweetheart deals at the taxpayers’ expense for anybody – not my friends, not my business associates, not my campaign contributors.

Not only will I disclose any personal, social or business relationship with anyone seeking anything from the city, but I will not cast a tie-breaking vote on any such matter, because the residents of Park Ridge who pay this city’s bills also keep this city’s heart; and they should never have to wonder for even an instant whose side their mayor is on.

I believe in balanced budgets and sound fiscal policy because we cannot govern ourselves and provide for the future of our community by a policy of irresponsible spending and debt. I oppose mortaging our city's and our children's future for short term benefits or mere convenience. And I support utilizing our limited resources to do what is most important to the residents: upgrade and maintain our city’s infrastructure and delivery of basic services instead of going further into debt to build a new police facility.

As a fiscal conservative and believer in the free market system, I consider myself a friend of business. The residents want and need a vibrant business community. As mayor, I will work for a city government that encourages, accommodates and facilitates the ownership and operation of local businesses, but that does not spend our hard-earned tax dollars on handouts and subsidies.

I am running for mayor because this community stands at a crossroads. It has survived and thrived as a bedroom community made up of primarily single-family residences, conveniently located to both the Loop and O'Hare Airport. But the current mayor and his allies, while claiming to love this community, at the same time have worked relentlessly to drastically and permanently change this community's appearance and fundamental character. I do not believe the residents support such a change.

In addition to its uniquely exceptional location, the quality of life here in Park Ridge is what draws people to move here and remain here. That is why I support the preservation of a diverse assortment of structures and appropriate green space, and why I believe that growth and development must be held to the highest standards of performance and compatibility with this city’s character and feel. I pledge to look carefully at every development application to ensure that it does not adversely affect the existing character and uses of the area in which the development will occur.

Finally, I have chosen to run for mayor because I have found the vast majority of the people of Park Ridge are confident, courageous, generous and persevering. Those are the people whom I would be honored and privileged to represent and serve as mayor of this city, and those are the people whose support I seek in this endeavor.


I welcome the input of the residents from whom I will draw my strength and support. Anyone wishing to contact me or learn more about me, where I stand and what my vision is for Park Ridge should visit my campaign website at electdaveschmidt.com.

Watch your back, Alderman Dave. The purveyors of the status quo -- peddlers of business as usual -- are massing to give you one hell of a fight.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

He sure sounded good then, didn't he? I know many here will disagree with me, but I think he is doing his best. The economy is bad and neither the mayor or the aldermen are to blame. None of the expenses or the spending some people are screaming about would even be an issue if it weren't for the current economy.

Anonymous said...

PRU:

Thanks for the memories!!!! I guess it all depends on ones point of view but you can go paragraph by paragraph and rebut the statements he made in this letter based on his perfromance in office.

Here is just one example. He says....."But the current mayor and his allies, while claiming to love this community, at the same time have worked relentlessly to drastically and permanently change this community's appearance and fundamental character. I do not believe the residents support such a change". Before long we will be able to go discuss this over cocktails until 2 AM if we like. Pretty drastic, huh???

Anonymous said...

4:20 - Of course the economy is the start of the problem, but they have to deal with it and solve the problem. My sales numbers are down due to the economy, so I stopped spending like I did in the good years. I didn't just bury myself and blame the economy. They all need to slow the spending, and yes they are ALL to blame.

Anonymous said...

4:20:

I agree the mayor and aldermen aren't to blame for the bad economy, but 6:36 got it right. They are ALL to blame for the continued spending going on.

What really gets me are the cuts to police and fire and then raising fees for the o'hare spending. It is a completely irresponsible folly. The aldermen could have put a stop to it or the mayor could have put a stop to it, but none of them had the guts.

I would like to believe they are all doing their best, but if what they are doing is there best then we are sunk, because I watched the videos of all the budget hearings and the veto meeting and all I saw were politicians pushing off responsibility to each other and saying almost nothing worth hearing.

Anonymous said...

LOL. Big difference between talking about being a fiscal conservative and acting like one.

Bean said...

...as it turns out, lots o' b.s. and double-talk in that there campaign announcement...

Anonymous said...

I hope it's okay to ask this here.

On the other blog it was said the mayor did his job according to the Illinois codes and the Park Ridge codes. I asked what the codes say but I got an answer that is mush and I was told to look up the codes. I don't know where to look up the codes. What do the codes say?

Thank you.

ParkRidgeUnderground said...

Anon@11:01 --

Mush about covers it.

Allow us some time and we'll look up the information you've asked about.